Monday 25 February 2013

Questions questions questions...

Monday 25th February 2013

Having seen that there was a successful and insightful campus session on module 2, I am excited and keen to hear more from all of the BAPP students and to discover the topics in which they are considering as their lines of inquiry. 

As seen in my previous blogs, I am interested to research and look into the mental strain of dancers and the pressures that they go through. We often neglect this and I should like to learn more about this side to the profession rather than the physical strain that everyone is so familiar with. I am particularly open to the idea of the mentality of dance students going through their training. 
Having a group of Arts students (BAPP) to negotiate with, I hope that I can gain knowledge about their personal experiences and the pressures, emotions and possible stresses they went through during their educational and vocational training.

As I have already expressed, I feel very strongly about the subject. Having started some extra reading, I began with 'How To Research' by Loraine Blaxter to get an idea of where to start with the path of my inquiry. This section stood out to me:


"Being selfish is something few adults would, openly at least, admit to. Yet it is central to the sanity of the hard-pressed researcher. At the start of your project you are about to take on a considerable commitment which is probably in addition to many continuing demands on your time . . . So be selfish, focus on what interests you, think about your curriculum vitae and your future professional development as well as the impact your study might have on the workplace, and then step forward with confidence. (Edwards and Talbot 1999: 3)"Blaxter, Loraine. How To Research (4th Edition), 2010

I feel that it is so important to be passionate about what you want to research and study. Without having the motivation or determination to do something.. we wouldn't get anywhere, or, it would be a half-hearted effort. The same links to training, if you're not wanting to give it 110%, then you're not in the right career. Do what you want to do, then development and success will follow.

I have come up with a few questions so far for any who reads this, but BAPP students, I am particularly interested to hear your opinions and thoughts. If you would be so kind as to respond with your answers and ideas in the 'comment' box to this blog, I should be most grateful! ...

1. What was the key tool that made you motivated each day? (whether it be an emotion, passion or particular activity in your every day routine etc)

2. What inspired you and gave you the determination to go through your Arts training?

3. How often were you and your fellow students praised?


4(a). Did you feel that a negative attitude from yourself or others affected your day/general performance?

4(b). How did you feel/react to this negative behaviour?


5. If you felt pleased and happy with your training/day, how did show it?

6. Alternatively, if you had a 'feeling down day' and things didn't go so smoothly, how did you show it? Who did you talk to (if anyone)?

I don't want to seem as though I have a negative approach on dance/Arts training, I am just so keen to get down to the bottom of how people feel and felt through out their education and what was done to help or praise them.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I am also very interested in the psychological side of dance training and have been thinking about the teaching side of things that it is important for a teacher to try and understand each of their students psychologically in order to be able to get the best out of them and ensure that they get the best out of their training. Anyway..I will answer your questions..

    1. Honestly, alot of what motivated me at college was competition..with other students and myself. I always wanted to be the best (not that I thought I was but it was my aim) and with this in mind every day I worked my butt off!

    2.I just loved to dance..there isn't much else to say I just had to do it!

    3.We weren't praised very often; I was lucky and probably got more praise than a lot of students but praise was often more like.."OK that's better", rather than, "Yeh that was great!"

    4. Yes, I could not be negative, if I just had one of those days I knew the whole day was a waste of time because in my mind I had already decided I was going to do badly that day.
    If other people were negative, I think yeh it could bring my mood down but sometimes it could go the other way and I would think "well I'll show them, I'll do it better" (again..competitive!)

    5. If I was happy with the training day I would be happy with everything else and have more energy..I used to finish late at college as I did A levels as night classes twice a week so was constantly exhausted..If I was happy I would actually make an effort to do something social after college or at least speak to my family and not just sleep!

    6.If I had a bad day I would try not to show it to be honest..I wouldn't talk to anybody about it but I would just get angry with myself and frustrated which in turn made me worse, especially with things like pirouettes..they just don't work if you're in a bad mood...then it's a vicious circle, that makes you more moody..ha

    Hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1, I decided aged 8 that I would be a professional dancer so I truly think that determination is what motivated me every day. Also passion as performing is the one thing in life that I am more passionate about than anything.
    2, What inspired me was my teachers. The comments ideas and creativity they passed on drove my enthusiasm. I was always the first into the studio at college and the last out, I wanted to gain everything I possibly could from my training and put everything else second to that.
    3, This is where I think my college did well, any feedback was given in a constructive manner. I feel students can't be slammed for getting things wrong or going a little off course, we all need positive praise. Student welfare was a huge part of my training and even when a student had issues at home teachers were made aware and asked to keep an eye out for that pupil.
    4a, during my training I often felt that other students negativity affected the way I performed. If you were working hard and gaining a lot from your classes jealousy sometimes caused others pupils to try and put you off by 'bitching'.
    4b,I have always tried to rise above this and as a result have been able to deal with these attitudes not only whilst training but also whilst performing.
    5,Generally on a good day at college I would get a lot more enjoyment from my dancing, this showed not only through my performance but also through what I would achieve during the day.
    6, I have always talked to my parents about everything and often used them as a sounding board. Having a strong fam ily network has been my saving grace through the thick and thin of this industry.

    I hope this helps, I think I will set up a similar set of questions as it is a great way of getting some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya emily, like you, i'm looking a little at psychology, rather what it takes to become successful, as I realised I may be putting mental barriers infront of myelf... its interesting what clare said about praise being more like... 'that's better' than great. I can see why teachers use that.. if we were great.. we wouldnt still be training... but better.. at least is a positive that we are not training for nothing.. we are improving. I found some teachers are good at spotting who is trying hard to succeed and give little praise where its deserved but some did seem hell bent on just being 'bitchy'. If you cant get support from your teachers, the people we are supposed to look upto and respect.. where can we get it because its certainly not from all those shutting doors in our faces at auditions or the other same build girl or guy fighting for the same job.

    If you find the key to being motivated every single morning, let me know!!!!
    Do have a look at my blog and the questions and see if any are relatvent to you, id appreciate a comment or two x

    ReplyDelete